Sonnet

This link will take you to poetry by featured guests and members of Sensitize ©.

Moderator: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Catherine Edmunds
artist, poet & writer

Sonnet

Post by Catherine Edmunds »

There are an enormous number of different variations of the sonnet. I tend nowadays to stick to the Shakespearean because of the straightforward rhyme scheme, which is: a b a b c d c d e f e f g g
Sonnets are traditionally written in iambic pentameter, but don't strictly have to be. Nor do they have to conform to a strict rhyme scheme. But, like so many of these forms, it really does help to learn to do it 'properly' first, before you free yourself up to be more experimental.

So; fourteen lines, divided into three quattrains and a couplet, with a simple rhyming scheme, and all in iambic pentameter. I write dozens and dozens of the things. They're not too long, not too short, and surprisingly easy to write once you've done a few. Here's one I wrote on a very hot, sunny day last summer:

It’s too hot today

My bones are soft and seep between the cracks
Of burning wood where helplessly I sit
And grip the edge with fingers; can’t relax
While braced to stop this meltdown; bit by bit
I’m dripping through the slats with oozing pain
As fizzling heat releases from my flesh
The meaty smell of blood that from a vein
Comes throbbing out and spurts with strength afresh
Each time I move. Evaporation’s slow
But can’t be stopped. I sizzle, bleed and see
Myself like molten magma, and I know
I’ll soon expire if not revived by tea.
At half past two I go and make a brew
Relieved I wasn’t really turned to goo.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
site owner, media producer & writer

Post by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh »

Hi Delph :D

Right now I'm working on a 'first edition' of Sensitize e-zine and looking for works by our members. There are a few pieces by you I would like to include in this. Also, and only if you're willing to do so, I would like to have a poetry section that breaks down and explores the mechanics of poetry. Would you be interested in running this mate?

It will require that I copy and paste your very handy tips on poetry constructs posted into here and maybe a few examples into a webpage that runs with whatever templates we design for Sensitize the e-zine. We have absolutely no money at all (for now), but if we attract sponsorship, you will be paid pro rata to input or on a profit shared basis alongside the rest of us.

I'd be honoured to have you aboard Delph :)
Last edited by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh on Wed May 31, 2006 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS
Telephone (UK): 028 71219225

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.
Catherine Edmunds
artist, poet & writer

Lugh, I'd be absolutely delighted. :D
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

delph_ambi wrote:Lugh, I'd be absolutely delighted. :D
Nice one Delph 8)

Will get back to you on this real soon.

Alan (the_leander) has written a great piece on new changes in the law with reference to computing.

I have the odd piece knocking about too. There's the medical marijuana film we can link to, oh, and High Velocity.

Some work ongoing with Carnival (hush-hush for now).

Argie has sent me a superb piece called; Plaza de Mayo's Pigeons.

Sprinkles will hopefully give a piece or two but I haven't figured out how bribery works with this character (Sprinkles. If you're reading this message - tell tell?).

Perhaps Kate will give us a few of her wonderful works.

Jo's got some beautiful photographs too.

Froggie has submitted some excellent shotss of her amazing carvings and scultures.

Redmouse is about somewhere lol. Spoke to her the other day on messenger (highly talented artist and web designer).

Tim might do a piece on BlueGreenEarth. Will email him now.

Sergi has submitted two really powerful pieces to here and hopefully will become involved with the Sensitize e-zine...

Jumpin' Jellyfish..!

Aren't We A Mega-Talented Bunch..?

Right. One more question... Who knows anything about html? If you do, can you contact on here please.

Time to get busy lol...

Cheers...
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.
Catherine Edmunds
artist, poet & writer

Sounds good, Lugh.

By the way, after about three days burrowing into my son's room, the various leads required to plug the fiddle into the pc have finally turned up, so I'm going to play around musically tomorrow. No promises. It might get nowhere. But I'm surrounded by cables here and feeling a little more optimistic. :)
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

delph_ambi wrote:Sounds good, Lugh.

By the way, after about three days burrowing into my son's room, the various leads required to plug the fiddle into the pc have finally turned up, so I'm going to play around musically tomorrow. No promises. It might get nowhere. But I'm surrounded by cables here and feeling a little more optimistic. :)
:D Excellent Delph... I look forward to any and all work you share mate...

It's a great buzz being creative again. I have a photo-shoot tomorrow to do for my performer / writer pal, Debbie to promote her new play. We'll be launching that on our domain soon. Not forgetting the Sensitize e-zine and hopefully submissions from all members...

S'all happnin' 8)
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Sergi the snail
visitor

Post by Sergi the snail »

Excellent Delph

I find poetry hard enough withot forcing a structure on myself thats why i stay away from this type of verse If my grasp of English was more strong I would, but I admire those that know as much as you
Catherine Edmunds
artist, poet & writer

Thanks Sergi. I am full of admiration for anyone who can write poetry, as you do, in a language that is not their mother tongue, but I don't blame you for avoiding formal writing.

I'm no expert on these forms. Most of what I've learned has been inspired by reading what other people have written in various writing forums - people like Danimik, who is incredibly knowledgeable and a wonderful poet.

That's the great thing about these forums. They send you off in new directions. Encourage you to explore new forms.
Catherine Edmunds
artist, poet & writer

First Class Post

“A first class post,” my woodwork teacher said
to Ben, but not to me, because my work
was crap. “I wonder what goes through your head,”
he snarled at me, and then, “You stupid berk,”
was what I heard him mutter as he went.
I wanted to impale him on my post.
Okay, perhaps it could have been less bent,
with fewer bumps and notches, but then most
of us aren’t perfect, unlike ghastly Ben
the teacher’s pet, the loathsome specky geek.
I threw my post at Ben; it killed him. Then
I murdered sir for calling me a freak.
Well, that’s not true. A ‘berk’ was what he said,
but still I stuck my post right through his head.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

I read this over on Buk's, Delph... Absolute classic :D ...
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Catherine Edmunds
artist, poet & writer

Thanks Lugh :D
Catherine Edmunds
artist, poet & writer

SHELL SHOCKED

The incubator’s light turned green. We cheered!
The wait was over, eggs would hatch tonight,
but as we watched it flickered fast. We feared
the hatchlings wouldn’t last, would die of fright.
“Not so!” Professor Zog cried, full of glee,
“Their life force cannot fail, I promise you.”
And he was right. Now all of us could see
a tiny movement; peck, peck, peck, and through
the mottled shell a beak appeared. A beak?
But dragons don’t have beaks. We were perplexed.
This looked more like a chicken. Zog looked bleak.
“Good grief!” he wailed. “I say! Whatever next!”
And thus it was, despite a heartfelt plea,
Professor Zog now works for KFC.
the_leander
visitor

Post by the_leander »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well played delph!
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Nice one Delph :D ...
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Catherine Edmunds
artist, poet & writer

Thanks guys :D

Return to “New Media Poetry on Sensitize ©”