Villanelle

This link will take you to poetry by featured guests and members of Sensitize ©.

Moderator: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Catherine Edmunds
artist, poet & writer

Villanelle

Post by Catherine Edmunds »

The villanelle looks horribly complicated until you try to write it, at which point all the repetitions make you realise you don't have to write all that many different lines. There are only two different rhymes, so you need to take care to pick your first few lines carefully, all you'll quickly come unstuck. There is no shame in using a rhyming dictionary... honest.

Anyway, here's the scheme. There are nineteen lines, divided into five tercets and a final quattrain. In the following plan, upper case lines are identical to each other, lower case lines simply have to rhyme (a with a/A, b with b)

A1
b
A2

a
b
A1

a
b
A2

a
b
A1

a
b
A2

a
b
A1
A2

The fun starts when you try to make it all flow on logically without the grammar going lopsided because of the repetitions. The key is to keep it simple. Here's one I wrote a few months ago, done in my usual iambic pentameter, though that's not obligatory with this form.

Tongue in cheek villanelle

She spoke with tongue in cheek; he didn't hear
a single thing she said, he missed
the humour that she hid when he was near.

She chuckled, giggled, should she persevere,
or tell him what she meant? Should she assist?
She spoke with tongue in cheek; he didn't hear.

He thought that she could not have been sincere
to say such things. He never caught the twist,

Communication breakdown looming here,
she told a joke. He caught her by the wrist --
she spoke with tongue in cheek; he didn't hear.

His anger grew. He slapped her on the rear
in fury at her joke; it made him pissed,

She loved him still, he really was a dear,
then trying to be sensible, they kissed.
She spoke with tongue in cheek; he didn't hear
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
site owner, media producer & writer

Post by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh »

This should be fun Delph... I will give it a go soon mate.

Thanks for sharing :D
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS
Telephone (UK): 028 71219225

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.

Return to “New Media Poetry on Sensitize ©”