haiku

This link will take you to poetry by featured guests and members of Sensitize ©.

Moderator: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Catherine Edmunds
artist, poet & writer

haiku

Post by Catherine Edmunds »

More words have been written about this form than virtually any other. I'm going to keep it simple. The commonest anglicised form comprises three lines, syllable count 5-7-5. Traditionally it should be about nature. And that's it. Many writers however use any subject, and don't keep to the syllable count anyway, as it doesn't strictly relate to the Japanese form, the languages being so very different.

I like to keep to the normal syllable count, and make each line a clear statement with no enjambment (ie, they don't run on into each other), but subject-wise, anything goes.

The Guardian newspaper runs a daily haiku challenge for poems based on current news. There's a prize for the best one each week. Here's the link, if anyone fancies having a go: http://books.guardian.co.uk/games/haiku/
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
site owner, media producer & writer

Rough Justice by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh © 7th July, 2006.

Post by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh »

Just saw your entry Delph mate... Well done :D

I wrote this haiku when I clicked on the Guardian link you provided above and then surfed the Guardian's pages looking for a story to inspire:-

rough justice
by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh © 7th July, 2006.
  • rough justice again.
    eleven thousand. that's all.
    for a life taken!
Last edited by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh on Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Catherine Edmunds
artist, poet & writer

Yippee!!! Didn't even notice they'd picked one of mine. Thanks for spotting it, Lugh :D

These are very satisfying to write, as you've no doubt just discovered with yours. You can say a lot in just a few words.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

delph_ambi wrote:Yippee!!! Didn't even notice they'd picked one of mine. Thanks for spotting it, Lugh :D

These are very satisfying to write, as you've no doubt just discovered with yours. You can say a lot in just a few words.
Yes, it's satisfying to write Haiku poetry indeed Delph... How does the Guardian thing work? I submitted my poem about the 7/7 victims, and thought the Guardian would email me back but they haven't...

Ah well. Wait and see...
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS
Telephone (UK): 028 71219225

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.
Catherine Edmunds
artist, poet & writer

They don't reply, I suspect, unless you win the prize for writing the best haiku that week. (I haven't received a reply, despite having a haiku posted yesterday.)
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

The Field And The Apple Tree by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh ©.

the field and the apple tree
by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh © 2006.
  • after all these years
    the field and the apple tree
    ah, the memories
Last edited by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh on Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.
Catherine Edmunds
artist, poet & writer

Now that is exquisite. A perfect haiku.

Delph
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Cheers Delph :D

I've had a turbulent week to say the least. When I wrote The Field And The Apple Tree, I was seeking to access some calmness and regain inner peace. I find writing or playing guitar (when I have one), very soothing...

Thanks for the feedback and compliment on this piece mate. I really appreciate it...
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

the_leander
visitor

Post by the_leander »

Haiku?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

In all seriousness, under a particular web browser I used to use, whenever you mistyped for otherwise couldn't connect to a web page, it would come up with the error 404, and then underneath have the following haiku such as this:

Rather than a beep
Or a rude error message,
These words: "File not found."

Another strange piece of geek trivia brought to you by...
Catherine Edmunds
artist, poet & writer

Nice one Alan :D

I've just got another one on the Guardian site. :oops:
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

delph_ambi wrote:I've just got another one on the Guardian site. :oops:
Way to go Delph :-D

Congratulations mate :)

Click here or the link below to see Delph's latest Haiku on the Guardian website...

http://books.guardian.co.uk/games/haiku/

Toooooooooo Coooool :D

Hyperlink and link in this post are to The Guardian Unlimited Books webpage.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

One For Syd Barrett...

black sky with peppered white.
Haiku Poem by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh © 2006.
  • where are you tonight?
    stars remind, eternity.
    I'm disillusioned
Last edited by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh on Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

the_leander
visitor

Post by the_leander »

Congrats delph :D
the_leander
visitor

Post by the_leander »

Nice one lugh :D
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Cheers Alan :-)

Cheers Alan :-)

Here's another...

Bukowski's goatee
A Haiku Poem by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh © 13th July, 2006.
  • Bukowski's goatee.
    words tangle in a white beard,
    then fall and are caught.
A gift for our creative friends over on MSN Bukowski's goatee... Here's hoping they join us
Last edited by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh on Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Return to “New Media Poetry on Sensitize ©”