Send In The Clowns...

This link will take you to poetry by featured guests and members of Sensitize ©.

Moderator: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
site owner, media producer & writer

Send In The Clowns...

Post by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh »

I'm hoping this section where circus and clowns are a theme takes off because I was looking to maybe work with a few other writers on here to put a book together that can be sold to raise money for the; circus2iraq / Boomchucka team.

circus2iraq / Boomchucka are a great bunch of people from all walks of life that go out to warzones like Iraq and put on entertainment, teaching circus skills to children caught up in conflict areas. They provide education and fun, but most of all they provide a sense of normality that these children so desperately need.

Please note; I am not a spokesperson for; circus2iraq / Boomchucka but think that their cause warrants support from this community and other outlets in Ireland and the UK.

The titles I have typed below may hopefully be a source of inspiration for us all and may lead to work that can be compiled into a book that can be sold to raise money for; circus2iraq / Boomchucka...
  • Big Tops And Sideshows
    Extravaganza
    Roll Up, Roll Up
    Send In The Clowns
    The Day After The Circus
    The Master of Ceremonies / The Ringmaster
    The Strongman
    We're Just Clowning Around
    When The Circus Comes To Town
Cheers :) ...
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS
Telephone (UK): 028 71219225

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.
Catherine Edmunds
artist, poet & writer

Post by Catherine Edmunds »

Thanks for posting this, Lugh. I've just been browsing their site, and this quote struck me: The UN Convention on the Rights of the Child (1989), Article 31, recognizes 'the right of the child to rest and leisure, to engage in play and recreational activities appropriate to the age of the child and to participate freely in cultural life and the arts.' Also, a survey carried out by UNICEF just before the last invasion in Iraq, found that over 40% of its children can't see a point to life. As the writer on the site says, no child should ever feel like that.

I think what the Boomchucka team are doing is brilliant. If anyone thinks it sounds a bit weird, and wonders how circuses can possibly be useful things, then just go and follow the links Lugh has posted.

I've never written a 'circus' poem, but I'm certainly going to try now, and I hope others will too. Don't worry about being 'good enough', either. Just jot some ideas down. There are enough of us here with editing experience to help sort out anything to do with the writing. Not just poems, either; how about reminiscences, short stories, songs... plenty of scope, so let's get writing :)
upstate
lugh's sensitize toolkit
Location: A cardigan pocket, amid handkerchiefs and hard boiled, fruit flavoured sweets.

Post by upstate »

Hi Delph :)

Lugh here on the admin passport. Thank you for bringing this point up to other members. What Boomchucka are doing is without doubt, the most original method of assistance to warzones I have ever seen. I'm not damning any honourable campaigns by other groups, it's just that what they are doing has long-lasting effects on all who experience their help. They work to inspire and reanimate the whole sense of childhood.

I've started a short story called; The Day After The Circus. I'm still chipping away at it. Have to admit though, my creativity levels are all over the place at the moment, but I'm hopeful.

I echo every word you say Delph and this should not just be poetry, but articles, memories of your own experiences with the Circus, stories, songs, essays. Please note also that your piece does not have to be in any way attached to war. Simply your creative writing or experiences of the circus.

It's all good :) ...
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

julian the clown. By Louis P. Burns aka Lugh © 2006.

julian the clown
By Louis P. Burns aka Lugh © 2006. All Rights Reserved.
  • julian joined the circus
    then he clowned around a while
    said his only ambition
    was to make the whole smile

he toured with many others
    sharing the tricks of their trade
    spreading a message of love
    where once only war was made

so, we all should commend them
    paint our faces for the day
    make laughter flow like water
    and make hatred fade away
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.
spacecadet
visitor

Post by spacecadet »

I've been giving this theme a go but I have some bad news. I've always found clowns sinister and I can't shake the image. I don't think anything I could possibly write would be what the organisation needs.

Now I'm a grown up I realise that clowns are not really evil, but I still find something incredibly sad about them.
Catherine Edmunds
artist, poet & writer

Post by Catherine Edmunds »

I'm the same. Clowns are scary and sad at the same time. I'm trying really hard to think up some cheerful, or at least optimistic writing on a circus theme, but am finding it flippin' hard. I only visited a circus once and found it an unsettling (and surprisingly smelly) experience.

I'll keep trying, but this is a tough one.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

spacecadet wrote:I've been giving this theme a go but I have some bad news. I've always found clowns sinister and I can't shake the image. I don't think anything I could possibly write would be what the organisation needs.

Now I'm a grown up I realise that clowns are not really evil, but I still find something incredibly sad about them.
Have you been reading Stephen King horror novels Dave? Old Pennywise the Clown put the fear of God into me when I read 'It'...

I too had a slight fear of them when I was a child and went to a locally run circus, but in retrospect I think it was because the clown reaked of whiskey.
delph_ambi wrote:I'm the same. Clowns are scary and sad at the same time. I'm trying really hard to think up some cheerful, or at least optimistic writing on a circus theme, but am finding it flippin' hard. I only visited a circus once and found it an unsettling (and surprisingly smelly) experience.

I'll keep trying, but this is a tough one.
This whole idea doesn't have to be specifically about clowns. How about trapeze artists or strongmen, ring-masters, dancing bears etc? As long as the we can put together a collection or 'circus related' pieces of work, we should be able to move forward with this.

I worked for a week as a clown for a charity here in Derry back in 1994. I have to admit, it is a thankless task.

Lol, smelly. Yes, I can fully agree with you there Delph...

Cheers folks...
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Return to “New Media Poetry on Sensitize ©”