Message for Danimik and Delph...

This link will take you to poetry by featured guests and members of Sensitize ©.

Moderator: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
site owner, media producer & writer

Post by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh »

A friend of mine has emailed me looking for some poetry recommendations that may help someone coping with bereavement.

Here is my friend's message;-
Friend of Lugh's wrote: Hi,

An acquaintance's mum has died. I once had an article full of poems
that gave comfort to people when they'd been bereaved but can't find
it now, and don't want to send something that's cliched and shit. Can
anyone recommend anything they've actually found comforting when
someone close has died? (I kind of like the poem 'do not stand by my
grave and weep' but is that too hackneyed??)
Can either of you recommend works, either by other poets or yourselves that might help please? I really would appreciate your assistance here folks.

Thanks in advance :) ...
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS
Telephone (UK): 028 71219225

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.
Catherine Edmunds
artist, poet & writer

Post by Catherine Edmunds »

Yes, avoiding the mawkishly sentimental is difficult, as I've just discovered by googling 'bereavement poems'. However, I found one site that has an excellent selection here. Hope that helps.
leylashawki
visitor

Post by leylashawki »

Wonderful. thanks to both of you for your help (the first friend was me!)

:)
leylashawki
visitor

Post by leylashawki »

... Although looking through them, most were of the 'death's not that bad' variety, and since it just happened yesterday I'd rather go with, 'death is REALLY bad but it will get better'.

Is that just me being fussy?
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Welcome aboard mate :D ...
leylashawki wrote:... Although looking through them, most were of the 'death's not that bad' variety, and since it just happened yesterday I'd rather go with, 'death is REALLY bad but it will get better'.

Is that just me being fussy?
Not at all leylashawki. You're being specific and that's essential to what you're looking to achieve. I'll mooch around online now and see if there's anything suitable...

Feel free to start your own threads on any topic in the appropriate sections btw. It's all good ;) ...
Last edited by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh on Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.
Mike Daniels
poet & writer
Location: The English Queen's Arse, Tongue First 'n' Lovin' It ...

Post by Mike Daniels »

the bbc published the nation's favourite poems of remembrance which is an admirable volume in my view. Foreward by Michael Rosen.

My personal favourites would be John Donne: Sonnet X from Holy Sonnets:divine Meditations. Begins
Death be not proud, though some have called thee
Mighty and Dreadful, for thou art not soe... ( http://poetry.poetryx.com/poems/866/ )

Ecclesiastes 3.1-8 To everything there is a season... ( http://www.bartleby.com/108/21/3.html )

Dylan Thomas - And Death Shall Have No Dominion. ( http://michellemalkin.com/archives/001939.htm )

But then Mr Thomas is an old failing of mine.

I'm called to my tea - I'll be back.

Mike
Last edited by Mike Daniels on Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

There is a piece on here by Mike Daniels aka Danimik called;

I Can Make You...

I know it's a personal piece by Mike, but I believe it captures a lot of what anyone would want to acknowledge or say at the passing away of their Mother...

Thankfully my Mum is still here but this piece stopped me in my tracks recently when I first read it and as a result, I had a lovely, warm conversation with my Mum on the phone...

I'm really sorry if I have stepped over or on any boundaries by posting this Mike. It's just such a beautiful piece that summons fond memories of 'life with my Mother' for me... Remembering and remembrance...
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Mike Daniels
poet & writer
Location: The English Queen's Arse, Tongue First 'n' Lovin' It ...

Post by Mike Daniels »

Ernest Dowson

Vitae Summa Brevis Spem Nos Vetat Incohare Longam
"The shortness of life prevents us from entertaining far-off hopes."

They are not long, the weeping and the laughter,
Love and desire and hate:
I think they have no portion in us after
We pass the gate.

They are not long, the days of wine and roses:
Out of a misty dream
Our path emerges for a while, then closes
Within a dream.

or Edna St Vincent Millay's Dirge Without Music. ( http://plagiarist.com/poetry/7316/ )

Mike
leylashawki
visitor

Post by leylashawki »

Thanks everyone, these were brilliant.

I sent that beautiful poem written by someone here, Keates and... the Bare Necessities, all of which combined perfectly expressed what I wanted to say!

Thanks!

Return to “New Media Poetry on Sensitize ©”