The Use Of Expletives...

This link will take you to ongoing debates and discussions on several topics of interest to members of Sensitize ©. All members of Sensitize © are welcome to start new debates and discussions.

Moderator: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
site owner, media producer & writer

The Use Of Expletives...

Post by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh »

The Use Of Expletives
  • There was a show went out in the summer of this year on BBC2 where the history of words was explored, how they came about, their various meanings etc. I can't remember the name of the show but Germaine Greer was taxed with researching the word 'cunt'. I found Greer's approach to this theme both funny and serious because she delved into the misconceptions we have about it and many of the myths that surround it. I also have a lot of respect for Germaine Greer and read some of her books as a young male growing up in a single parent home (my folks split up).

I frequently use the word 'cunt', both in my writing and everyday usage. I also use 'bastard', 'bollocks / bollix', 'dickhead', 'fanny', 'fuckwit', 'knob-jockey' and 'wanker'. I'm curious, what are other members opinions on these words? Do you find them offensive or like me, do you find yourself muttering them when agitated as a way to describe annoying people or situations? Oh, I also use them when describing the weather over here in Northern Ireland which is frequently a 'fucker'.

I admit that I do attempt to control my use of these words around young people, my mum and my sister...
Last edited by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh on Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS
Telephone (UK): 028 71219225

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.
spacecadet
visitor

Post by spacecadet »

Sorry Lugh, but I really have to put my foot down.

I find the use of the words "G*rmaine Gr**r" highly offensive. I plead with you to see sense and edit your own post before I report you to your ISP.

I think I remember seeing this on T.V. If my memory serves me right GG and a load of other posh middle age ladies were sat around a table using the "C" word left, right and centre.

I found it disturbingly arousing.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

spacecadet wrote:Sorry Lugh, but I really have to put my foot down.

I find the use of the words "G*rmaine Gr**r" highly offensive. I plead with you to see sense and edit your own post before I report you to your ISP.
Bastard. I most certainly will not! I'll get my Mum to you :P ..!
Radiohead wrote: "When I am King you will be first against the wall."
spacecadet wrote:I think I remember seeing this on T.V. If my memory serves me right GG and a load of other posh middle age ladies were sat around a table using the "C" word left, right and centre.

I found it disturbingly arousing.
So did I and I immediately ran to the toilet and 'de-stressed' in tradition fashion :wink: . Christ! What would GG think of blokes having a hand-shandy while picturing her in lesbian flings? Be great if we could invite her onto here and find out...
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.
psikottix
visitor

Post by psikottix »

Ah, the debate about language! Always a contraversial subject.

Different people take words in different ways. In america (i use a lowercase "a" habitually, by the way, as I have little respect for the nation) the word "cunt " is considered highly offensive. In Australia, on the other hand, it is used almost as a term of endearment. I tend to use it a lot, more often in the Australian manner, but sometimes because i feel it sums up the contempt I feel for some things. New Labour, for instance!

I don't really think of swear words as "bad language". "Innit" is, to me, an example of true bad language. Expletives can and do add emotional intensity to a phrase. "It's exceptionally cold" does not sound as cold as "it's fucking cold".

I DO try and moderate my language when children are present. Not so much because I don't want them to copy me (they will use it anyway), but more because they don't, generally, know when to use it.

Also, I have found from experience, that supposedly softer words can be more offensive. I have recently had more of a reaction from calling someone a slapper than I have ever had from calling someone a cunt!

And possibly the most offensive single word that can be said to anyone is, according to my field research, LIAR! - Which is not in any way a "swear word"!

Ultimately, all these words exist for a reason, and they DO add a lot of depth to otherwise innocuous phraseology. I'm all for them!!!

:)
spacecadet
visitor

Post by spacecadet »

This is the quickest we have ever reached agreement on a debate thread. So to sum it up....

1. It's more fun to call someone a "flange" than a c**t.
2. Swearing should be used on special occasions such as describing the prime minister.
3. Both Dave and Lugh like to hear middle age "Prim" talk dirty.
Lauren Arthington
human rights activist & writer

Post by Lauren Arthington »

i love a good fucking swear
'if hierarchical organisation siezes control of nature, while itself undergoing transformation in the course of this struggle, the portion of liberty and creativity falling to the individual is drained away by the requirements of adaptation to the social norms' -
Raoul Vaneigem
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Lauren Arthington wrote:i love a good fucking swear
fuck. so do i :P ...

it's a small world, innit?
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

i'm more shocked at meself for admitting i fancied germaine greer. christ almighty :shock: ..!

if spacecadetdave still reads these threads, i owe him a few pints :oops: ...
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Return to “Debate & Discussion on Sensitize ©”