Sound

This link will take you to general messages or topics of interest to members of Sensitize ©.

Moderator: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
site owner, media producer & writer

Delph, check this out - Rachael Unthank & the Winterset

Post by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh »

Hi Delph :D ...

I'm sitting here tweaking Sensitize © and watching the Mercury Prize Awards on BBC2. They've just had the most amazing female quartet on from the North-East of England called Rachael Unthank & the Winterset.

They performed a cover version of a traditional English Folk song that was frankly, mind-blowing. In their follow-up award acceptance speech they spoke of wanting to keep old English Folk songs that have been handed down for generations alive. An admirable goal in my opinion...

Here is a small interview with them from last week when the Mercury Prize Awards' show was recorded:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWdyiIWN_7Y

I think the comment from laseruser is very true:

laseruser on YouTube wrote:Just been listening to her album the Bairns, bloody brilliant me thinks. Nice to hear some English folk that's comparable to what we hear from our Scottish and Irish cousins
This next link will take you to their website where you can listen to extracts from their 2005 album - Cruel Sister:

http://www.rachelunthank.com/

Here are Rachael Unthank & the Winterset performing Blackbird (not The Beatles' song) Please note that the sound quality is a bit off on the next few links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9BcyyTc16k

Here are a few more links and when some kind soul uploads the show from tonight I'll link you to that as well:

Rachael Unthank & the Winterset - Fareweel Regality
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bf85eWoUCY

^ Beautiful. Simply beautiful...

Rachael Unthank & the Winterset - Sea Song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09PRtSYP ... re=related

Here is a bit on Wikipedia about them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachel_Unt ... _Winterset

I am completely hooked and will be buying a copy of The Bairns as soon as it becomes available (couldn't find it on amazon.com which is odd. It's listed but leads a dud link currently). The catalogue number for ordering The BAIRNS is;
EMI 5099950438020 ...
Last edited by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh on Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS
Telephone (UK): 028 71219225

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Richard Wright - founder member of Pink Floyd dies at 65...

Cahal Milmo, Chief Reporter of The Independent wrote: Pink Floyd founder member Richard Wright dies at 65

Richard Wright, the self-taught pianist and founding member of Pink Floyd whose keyboard playing and compositions were at the heart of the band's classic albums, has died from cancer.

The 65-year-old musician, originally considered the leading musical force in the band before leaving after falling out with the singer and bassist Roger Waters, was diagnosed recently with the disease and died after a short illness, according to his spokesman.

His death came just days after David Gilmour, the band's lead guitarist, declared that a one-off reunion by the group at the Live 8 concert in 2005 was the last time he would play with the band.

Wright wrote two songs on the 1973 concept album The Dark Side of the Moon.

A spokesman for Wright, who had three children, declined to give further details about his illness. He said: "The family of Richard Wright, founder member of Pink Floyd, announce with great sadness that Richard died today after a short struggle with cancer. The family have asked that their privacy is respected at this difficult time."
Read the full article here: http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 31984.html

John and I were listening to tracks from The Final Cut earlier today :cry: ...
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Dead Can Dance - Rakim

I totally love Dead Can Dance. I've played this about 3 times today;

Dead Can Dance - Rakim (From; Towards The Within, 1993*)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do5vj3D-OD4

Further reading:
Lisa Gerrard (female vocalist in Dead Can Dance) website wrote:Dead Can Dance has quite a few references to Oceanic Mythology, RAKIM is the carpenter god of the Ponape island in the Caroline Islands in the Pacific Ocean, near the Philipines I think, who helped the people there build their canoes and houses. I'm not sure about the "rainbow" part, but I think it's a nickname or translation of RAKIM. As in rain-bow or a canoe that flies (in the rain?).
Source = http://forum.lisagerrard.com/viewtopic. ... 0f19659c50

* http://www.amazon.com/Toward-Within-Dea ... B000002MV0

Label: 4ad / Wea
ASIN: B000002MV0
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Temple Hedz - Closer (due for release; April, 2010)

I've been playing this a helluva lot since Edensounds (one of our members, who worked as a photographer on the video for it) linked me up to it over on his YouTube channel at the weekend. I'm inclined to agree with him that this song and its video are both winners:

Closer is really growing on me and I love that lyrical hook; "Wake up the senses" too. Anything that stirs us to feel life more is always fine by me. Major kudos to everyone involved on the production. It rocks. If Closer is a marker to what the album is like, then it's definitely on my 'must haves' list.

I'm hopeful some of my friends who work in broadcasting and journalism are reading this thread and playing the video too. They could and should be pushing this one, not just because they like it, but because talented musicianship and songwriting like this is what will ultimately be the death of Simon Cowell's pointless career...

Temple Hedz - Closer (due for release; April, 2010) 8) ..!
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Dub FX 23/07/09 'Hip Hop'

Dub FX 23/07/09 'Hip Hop'

^ This Is Quality :mrgreen: 8) ..!

This lad needs some exposure. It'd be great to see him on Later With Jools Holland. He deserves a break...

Thanks to Trudi Godbold for linking this clip up over on Facebook late lastnight. Well played mucker :wink: ...
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Layer Marney - So Long (Way Out Desire)

Layer Marney - So Long (Way Out Desire)

Absolutely fantastic track and video. It's refreshing to hear and see dedicated and hard working musicians back on the scene again. Well played Layer Marney and thanks to Alun Buffry of Legalise Cannabis Alliance (LCA) for sharing it with me just now via facebook. Great stuff :mrgreen:
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Diet Kong - A Forest

Diet Kong - A Forest

I've been getting more than a few really good vibes from this refreshing new track by Diet Kong. Marvellous stuff. Thanks to Keith for givin' me the nod to proceed and share A Forest here on Sensitize.

Check out their YouTube channel here: http://www.youtube.com/user/DietKong folkx - They're good
8) :wink: :mrgreen:
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

A Promise; Echo and the Bunnymen (from, Heaven Up Here, 1981

A Promise; Echo and the Bunnymen (from, Heaven Up Here, 1981):

Echo and the Bunnymen have been a constant in my life since my mid teens. I'm now 43 - nearly 44 so that's coming up for damn near 30 years, and they still entertain and delight me. Part of that delight is the challenge of trying to figure out what Ian McCulloch's lyrics are actually about. I reckon he's a poet. Added to those qualities is the fact that the entire band, including the late Pete de Freitas (drummer) had such a perfect command and mastery over their musicianship. They made / make it work for them. All good art keeps us enthralled and in the presence of its enigmatic nature I suppose. Great stuff 8) ...

Click here to read the Wikipedia entry for the Echo and the Bunnymen album: Heaven Up Here.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

James DC and the Atomic Bark Crew on Resonance FM Archive...

James DC and the Atomic Bark Crew on Resonance FM Archive:

http://atomicbark.wordpress.com/show-archive/

Click the image above to go to; http://www.atomicbark.wordpress.com where you can keep up with the show's episodes exploring all things Sci-Fi, Horror and Fantasy. The shows are hosted by James DC on 104.4FM in London, or streamed live, globally, via: http://www.resonancefm.com and repeated. Archive of podcasts to be announced soon.

Image use authorised by James DC via facebook.

Tagged as Science fiction, science fiction films, science fiction literature, fantasy literature, fantasy, fantasy films, fantasy art, science fiction art, pulp magazine illustration, comic books, science fiction comics, fantasy comic books, time travel, metropolis, The Time Machine, HG Wells, dystopias, utopia, Kurt Vonnegut, Pulp Art, British Library, dystopia
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Return to “General Messages on Sensitize ©”