Books...

This link will take you to general messages or topics of interest to members of Sensitize ©.

Moderator: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
site owner, media producer & writer

Books...

Postby Louis P. Burns aka Lugh » Sat May 27, 2006 12:29 pm

What book / books are you currently reading? Discuss it or any other book titles you would like to share with other members.

Make reading recommendations and of course, if you're published, plug yourselves like crazy :wink: ...
Last edited by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh on Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:49 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS
Telephone (UK): 028 71219225

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.

Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
site owner, media producer & writer

Manfred's Pain by Robert McLiam Wilson...

Postby Louis P. Burns aka Lugh » Sat May 27, 2006 12:59 pm

Manfred's Pain by Robert McLiam Wilson...
    My friend Brian loaned this book to me and I recently finished reading it then spent about three weeks making many observations on life and how we all take people for granted...

Manfred's Pain (1993) is a captivating, harrowing but wonderfully crafted tale that doesn't shy away from the underbelly of society where deception, menace and violence lurk.

As the story developed I found I had equal amounts of compassion and contempt for the central character (Manfred) an old, Jewish man living in London. The book recaptures his youth, war stories, employment, marriage, birth of his son, a life of bitter memories mixed with new encounters and how Manfred observes his experiences, revealing why he is so miserably content now.

Brian also loaned me Ripley Bogle by the same author. I'm really looking forward to getting into it and The Burn by James Kelman (Great short story writer from Glasgow and someone whose writing I would recommend to almost everyone)...
Last edited by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh on Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS
Telephone (UK): 028 71219225

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.

the_leander
visitor

Postby the_leander » Sat May 27, 2006 2:42 pm

Pandora's Star was the last book I read, written by a chap called Peter F. Hamilton. Fantastic science fiction book, truly gripping story lines and believable charactors.

If you're into sci fi, get this book, it'll blow your mind. I actually managed to pick it up at my local "The Works" store a while back for something like £2.

Another book, again sci fi, is Accelerando, by Charles Stross. This one is a bit difficult to get into, as it is very technology orientated in terms of the language used, on the other hand, its available as either in dead tree format, or as a free pdf file. It was through this book that I learned of the Creative Commons licence that my own work, Legacy became licenced under. It proved once and for all that you could give stuff away free, and make a few quid.

If you're looking for classics however, I would suggest that you visit The Gutenburg Project, which is home to thousands of classic books that are no longer under copyright. Be warned, its a bit of a pig to navigate.

Diesel Engine
visitor

Postby Diesel Engine » Sat May 27, 2006 7:16 pm

Ive read a few of Peter F Hamiltons works and they are truly Mammoth undertakings
His newest, Judas Unchained, the follow up to Pandoras Star Is available now and Morning LIght Mountain his vast Alien Intelligence is one of the most frightening in the whole Si-Fi genre.

I found his first trilogy, the Night Dawn trilogy, initally gripping, but there were so many characters and sooo soo many sub plots that I lost intrest and never finished it.
Might give it a go again or I might just make myself a nice cheese sandwich.

sprinkles
visitor

unicycle

Postby sprinkles » Sat May 27, 2006 8:59 pm

im reading the lonely planet to portugal because they like eating drinking and dancing to celebrate dead people http://www.portoturismo.pt/en/init/default1.asp

Return to “General Messages on Sensitize ©”