Books...

This link will take you to general messages or topics of interest to members of Sensitize ©.

Moderator: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
site owner, media producer & writer

On The Roundabout by Bernard McLaverty

Postby Louis P. Burns aka Lugh » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:54 pm

Hi all. Brian just sent me a link to a new story by Bernard McLaverty. It's called On The Roundabout.

Bernard McLaverty has written many great stories on life here in Northern Ireland and I am a big fan of his work. If you click that coloured text above, you will be taken to a sample of his latest work on the Sunday Herald website...

Be advised, this piece contains literary scenes of violence and sectarian / tribal sickness / weakness.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS
Telephone (UK): 028 71219225

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.

Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

The Sand In The Painting. By Catherine Edmunds

Postby Louis P. Burns aka Lugh » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:33 am

The Sand In The Painting, by Catherine Edmunds
    This is a delightful tale about the lives and loves of a group of friends that took this reader down a nostalgic path and re-awakened my own self-discovery. Frequently while reading The Sand In The Painting. By Catherine EdmundsI reflected upon past relationships and the hopes, joys, pains and wonders of simply being alive. I found myself relating to all of the characters in one way or another and the entire story an absolute pleasure to read.

Songs, old and new popped into my mind while reading; The Sand In The Painting. By Catherine Edmunds and in all honesty I can see the full potential of this book being adapted to screenplay.

Catherine Edmunds has a natural talent for designing believable characters, strong settings and a powerful mastery of the complexities and inner workings of the 'human condition'.

I guarantee, you will find yourselves while reading; The Sand In The Painting. By Catherine Edmunds.
Last edited by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh on Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.

the_leander
visitor

Postby the_leander » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:25 pm

Just finished Somewhere A Bird Is Singing, by E V. Thompson. I bought it when it was first published and have read it numerous times.

Set at the turn of the last century it tells the story of a young girl growing up in Victorian Plymouth.

It'll make you smile, cry and laugh at times. But a thoroughly gripping tale that gives you a real taste of what life was like back then.

Good book, I'd recommend it to anyone.

I really should get another copy of it since this one is signed by the author himself...

Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Evil Empire by Paul Williams

Postby Louis P. Burns aka Lugh » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:56 pm

EVIL EMPIRE by Paul Williams - 2001
    Actually, this was my second reading of the book. It is a truly numbing account of the criminal underworld in Ireland that has on both readings held me captivated. Evil Empire by Paul Williams is a case study on John Gilligan the former leader of the most ruthless criminal gang to ever emerge out of Ireland. They were responsible for the murder of crime journalist; Veronica Guerin.

What I found particularly intense and highly disturbing was his description of the manouvres of certain Irish Garda detectives investigating a car thief in Dublin. The car ringer (thief) had passed on vital evidence that the Real IRA were transporting a bomb up to Northern Ireland but they did nothing to stop this. Rumours abound about the events of that day but one thing is clear. The intelligence services both North and South of the Irish Border knew an attack was enroute but they let it through. Twenty-nine people were killed and to date there has never been a reasonable explanation for the intelligence service's actions.

Another interesting fact to emerge from this book is that the Irish Garda detective who had this information from the Dublin car thief was later charged along with some of his colleagues for placing weapons on an Irish Republican's land in Co. Donegal.

To read about the book on amazon.com click the title at the top of this post.
Hyperlink in this message is to;
www.amazon.com
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Evil-Empire-Pau ... F8&s=books
Last edited by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh on Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

As Used On The Famous Nelson Mandela by Mark Thomas

Postby Louis P. Burns aka Lugh » Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:56 pm

I have long been an admirer of this man's work so you won't be suprised when I say that his book is without doubt an absolute 'must-read' for anyone who considers themselves an activist. If you have a conscience or if you've ever struggled to confront corruption and make this world a better place you will find this book invaluable. If you've ever listened to the radio or turned on your pc / television to see countries ripped apart by warfare and people displaced and starving while living in refugee camps, then this book is one you simply have to read.

Mark gets right into the heart of the Arms and Torture Trade from the UK and reveals the lies we all half suspect the British Government to be telling us. He reveals the open sale of weapons from the UK to places like Darfur and people like Robert Mugabi; President of Zimbabwe and all-out mass murderer. He spends time in the company of a self-made millionaire who famously sold a gun used by Michael Ryan in the Hungerford Massacre of 1987.

As Used On The Famous Nelson Mandela by Mark Thomas is loaded with Mark's amiable humour and high-brow satire that has entertained and informed us all for a good many years now. I am of the opinion that one of the best ways to learn about the world around us is to enjoy that learning process. What Mark has written is a book that delivers all of this essential data and information. Oh, and on his journey writing the book, he managed to have several laws on the sale of weapons from Ireland changed. Genius. Pure genius...

Buy it folks. You won't be disappointed.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Return to “General Messages on Sensitize ©”