Quitting Tobacco Is A Journey. Psi?

This link will take you to travellers tales by members of Sensitize ©. It's a place for members to write about journeys they have been on, countries they have lived and worked in or charity missions they were a part of.

Moderator: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

upstate
lugh's sensitize toolkit
Location: A cardigan pocket, amid handkerchiefs and hard boiled, fruit flavoured sweets.

Post by upstate »

Psi. You initiated this part of Sensitize ©, so I need to ask:- Would you consider; quitting tobacco a journey? If you say 'yes'; danimik has written a brilliant opening poem called; She Drinks Smoke.

I think this is the beginning of a long journey for potentially loads of artists, media/music producers and writers working through here. Any thoughts mate?
psikottix
visitor

Post by psikottix »

Life in itself is a journey, so the quitting of a vice and the trials and tribulations that follow must surely be one too.

I liked the poem. Drinking smoke is an excellent phrase, harking back to the early years of smoking (before Sir Walter's time, even, who wasn't even born when tobacco smoking started in this country!)

Go for it!

:D
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
site owner, media producer & writer

Mike & Psi...

Post by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh »

Mike:

Can I ask you to please start a new topic in this section of Sensitize © called; 'She Drinks Smoke' and then add your poem?

Thanks in advance :D ...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Psi:
psikottix wrote: Life in itself is a journey, so the quitting of a vice and the trials and tribulations that follow must surely be one too.
Cool. Just what I was thinking. Nice one :) ...
psikottix wrote: I liked the poem. Drinking smoke is an excellent phrase, harking back to the early years of smoking (before Sir Walter's time, even, who wasn't even born when tobacco smoking started in this country!)
Yip. 'Drinking smoke' is a powerful image, and the poem has so many other gripping images e.g; the sheer menace of someone smoking as though it expresses all their grievances with the world. Defiance with harboured bad intent. I reckon I could end up busy with the camera on this one folks. Will of course keep everyone involved updated...

Psi. I'm not clear on your second point about; Sir. Walter and the origins of tobacco smoking in this country. Can you explain more please pal? Cheers...
psikottix wrote: Go for it!

:D
HaPpY dAzE :lol:
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS
Telephone (UK): 028 71219225

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.
psikottix
visitor

Re: Mike & Psi...

Post by psikottix »

Lugh wrote:Psi. I'm not clear on your second point about; Sir. Walter and the origins of tobacco smoking in this country. Can you explain more please pal? Cheers...
Sorry, dude!

Sir Walter Raleigh is widely credited with the introduction to this country of tobacco and potatoes. In fact, he introduced neither. The first report of an Englishman smoking is of a sailor in Bristol in 1556, four years before Wally was even born! The term "smoking" comes from the late 17th century, before which it was referred to as "drinking smoke". (Which is why i mentioned it!)

Potatoes where known in Spain in the mid 1500's, and almost certainly arrived here from Europe not America, incidentally. It is possible, however, that Sir Walter introduced the spud to Ireland! Unfortunately, they were thought to be poisonous by some (the upper parts are, of course, and the plant itself is part of the nightshade family), and when Sir Walter planted them in his garden his neighbours threatened to burn his house down! (funny lot, the Irish! :wink: )

All of the above, by the way, is the kind of junk that gets stuck in my head. Can i remember peoples names? Where i live? What day of the week it is? NEVER!!!!!

I blame that blasted Stephen Fry!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Re: Mike & Psi...

psikottix wrote: Sorry, dude!

Sir Walter Raleigh is widely credited with the introduction to this country of tobacco and potatoes. In fact, he introduced neither. The first report of an Englishman smoking is of a sailor in Bristol in 1556, four years before Wally was even born! The term "smoking" comes from the late 17th century, before which it was referred to as "drinking smoke". (Which is why i mentioned it!)
That's brilliant. If I had the technical know-how, a little animated cartoon, possibly leaning heavily on comedy, to carry this point over, would be effective. I don't have that technical know-how. Damn...
psikottix wrote: Potatoes where known in Spain in the mid 1500's, and almost certainly arrived here from Europe not America, incidentally. It is possible, however, that Sir Walter introduced the spud to Ireland! Unfortunately, they were thought to be poisonous by some (the upper parts are, of course, and the plant itself is part of the nightshade family), and when Sir Walter planted them in his garden his neighbours threatened to burn his house down! (funny lot, the Irish! :wink: )
They're as mad as a bucket of steam the lot of em. I of course feel an unbounding patriotism to steam trapped in buckets and will stand, head erect, proudly singing any anthem the Irish may write, in honour of said steam. Oh, and buckets. I'll also burn the houses of anyone caught smoking potatoes or boiling cigarettes, but I'm a bit odd that way (coff!)...

So. The upperpart of the spud plant is part of the 'nightshade family' and is poisonous? I never knew that mate. I used to pick the feckers when I was a nipper 'n' all. A lot of lads here in the local area would go break their backs for something like £15.00 a day + travel, picking spuds...
psikottix wrote: All of the above, by the way, is the kind of junk that gets stuck in my head. Can i remember peoples names? Where i live? What day of the week it is? NEVER!!!!!

I blame that blasted Stephen Fry!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
(Rolls sleeves up)

Now you just wait a feckin' minute there Mr. Kottix! Stephen Fry's lovely, what with his Lord Melchards, his tea adverts and his quiz show; QI. He's the new Patron Saint of Ireland and I will roll my sleeves up, faking aggression towards everyone always, at any slight on his glorious name...

'All Hail The Mighty Fry!

All Hail The Mighty Fry!'

(Does little dance around pc and flings confetti everywhere)

I may have that slightly arse-about-face by the way. Other Fryists near where I live say the same thing, but then tuck into loads of bacon, beans, eggs, sausages and sodabread...

Culture! I've never quite worked it out :roll: ...
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.
Andrew West
guest member, dj & music producer

Post by Andrew West »

Smoking's a journey too . . . . . . I went to Belgium yesterday and bought loads of Fags n Booze really cheap, heh heh.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Meltminder wrote:Smoking's a journey too . . . . . . I went to Belgium yesterday and bought loads of Fags n Booze really cheap, heh heh.
Uckin' Norah. It's Paddy the Greek. Sneaking in here under the guise of being a talented musician is a bit of a cheap shot. Ya hoor ye :twisted: ...

Cuh :roll: ...

Tut :shock: ...

Prrrfft :idea: ..!

Pah :evil: ...

Dear oh dear :roll: ...

I'll take 400 Bensons and 6 litres of vodka...

Keep it discreet and maintain that image of a musician. You'll probably make a red-up in 'ere :lol: ...
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Return to “Travellers Tales on Sensitize ©”