The Raven. By Louis P. Burns aka Lugh © 2006.

This link will take you to poetry by featured guests and members of Sensitize ©.

Moderator: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
site owner, media producer & writer

The Raven. By Louis P. Burns aka Lugh © 2006.

Post by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh »

the raven.
By Louis P. Burns aka Lugh © 2006. All Rights Reserved
  • perched

the raven is black.
    thin wolves hunt throughout winter.
    flesh falls. old bones crack.

soon

the raven will feast.
    comical, deadly silence.
    a majestic beast
To hopefully run in tandem with delph_ambi's painting; The Raven. Will post a request on the general messages board now.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS
Telephone (UK): 028 71219225

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.
Catherine Edmunds
artist, poet & writer

Post by Catherine Edmunds »

Can't remember if I ever posted a reply to this one elsewhere, but if I didn't, shame on me. This is a beautiful evocation of the picture, and a superb poem in its own right.

One suggestion; I'm not sure 'soon' is a strong enough word for that standalone line. For some reason, I think 'later' would work better. I'm not really sure why.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

delph_ambi wrote:Can't remember if I ever posted a reply to this one elsewhere, but if I didn't, shame on me. This is a beautiful evocation of the picture, and a superb poem in its own right.
Coming from you, that is excellent to hear indeed Delph. Thank you very much :D ...
delph_ambi wrote:One suggestion; I'm not sure 'soon' is a strong enough word for that standalone line. For some reason, I think 'later' would work better. I'm not really sure why.
I'll be honest. I remember struggling with this myself while writing, but I was sticking to a rythym which was in the form of two haiku verses seperated by one syllable words to give it a rounder, more solidly poetic feel. What if I changed 'soon' to 'then'? Would that work?

the raven.
By Louis P. Burns aka Lugh © 2006. All Rights Reserved
  • perched

the raven is black.

then

the raven will feast.
    comical, deadly silence.
    a majestic beast
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.
Catherine Edmunds
artist, poet & writer

Post by Catherine Edmunds »

No, I don't like 'then' at all. Far too abrupt. I preferred soon.

It strikes me that 'perched' is virtually two syllables anyway, so it wouldn't be stretching a point too far to use 'later'.

You need to be careful never to let a self-imposed form weaken a good poem.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

delph_ambi wrote:No, I don't like 'then' at all. Far too abrupt. I preferred soon.

It strikes me that 'perched' is virtually two syllables anyway, so it wouldn't be stretching a point too far to use 'later'.

You need to be careful never to let a self-imposed form weaken a good poem.
the raven.
By Louis P. Burns aka Lugh © 2006. All Rights Reserved.
Edited by Catherine Edmunds and Mike Daniels.
  • perched

the raven is black.

later

the raven will feast.
    comical, deadly silence.
    a majestic beast
Last edited by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh on Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Aye :D that works for me too Delph...

Nice one :) ...
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Mike Daniels
poet & writer
Location: The English Queen's Arse, Tongue First 'n' Lovin' It ...

Post by Mike Daniels »

neat work

I like
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Cheers Mike :D
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Mike Daniels
poet & writer
Location: The English Queen's Arse, Tongue First 'n' Lovin' It ...

Post by Mike Daniels »

I've just picked up a cd anthology of Andy Roberts work - the first song of which is called 'the raven.' (Lyrics here - amongst others - http://www.andyrobertsmusic.com/lyrics.html )

He was a founder member of Liverpool Scene - the music/poetry/perfoming arts group that included Adrian Henri, a founder member of Grimms with roger McGough, John Gorman and others, a founder member of Plainsong with Ian Matthews, and a singer songwriter of some quality (imo, though I know he's not to everyones taste). Whilst touring and recording, he managed to obtain a law degree. (I do mean whilst as a simultaneous occurance running in parallel rather than a first-this-and-then-that-and-then-this-again type thing.)
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

danimik wrote:I've just picked up a cd anthology of Andy Roberts work - the first song of which is called 'the raven.' (Lyrics here - amongst others - http://www.andyrobertsmusic.com/lyrics.html )

He was a founder member of Liverpool Scene - the music/poetry/perfoming arts group that included Adrian Henri, a founder member of Grimms with roger McGough, John Gorman and others, a founder member of Plainsong with Ian Matthews, and a singer songwriter of some quality (imo, though I know he's not to everyones taste). Whilst touring and recording, he managed to obtain a law degree. (I do mean whilst as a simultaneous occurance running in parallel rather than a first-this-and-then-that-and-then-this-again type thing.)
Hi Mike :D ... Cool link. I've just read Andy Roberts' lyrics to 'The Raven' and they're pretty interesting. Although, the raven 'picked' something (first verse) and I'm not quite sure what lol. The references to neighbour growing gardens that they smoked was neat too :wink: ...

As for him working to get his law degree at the same time as touring and recording, that shows true dedication and is a mark of the man. Great stuff mate. Thanks for sharing this...
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Return to “New Media Poetry on Sensitize ©”