Books...

This link will take you to general messages or topics of interest to members of Sensitize ©.

Moderator: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
site owner, media producer & writer

Books...

Post by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh »

What book / books are you currently reading? Discuss it or any other book titles you would like to share with other members.

Make reading recommendations and of course, if you're published, plug yourselves like crazy :wink: ...
Last edited by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh on Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:49 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS
Telephone (UK): 028 71219225

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Manfred's Pain by Robert McLiam Wilson...

Manfred's Pain by Robert McLiam Wilson...
  • My friend Brian loaned this book to me and I recently finished reading it then spent about three weeks making many observations on life and how we all take people for granted...

Manfred's Pain (1993) is a captivating, harrowing but wonderfully crafted tale that doesn't shy away from the underbelly of society where deception, menace and violence lurk.

As the story developed I found I had equal amounts of compassion and contempt for the central character (Manfred) an old, Jewish man living in London. The book recaptures his youth, war stories, employment, marriage, birth of his son, a life of bitter memories mixed with new encounters and how Manfred observes his experiences, revealing why he is so miserably content now.

Brian also loaned me Ripley Bogle by the same author. I'm really looking forward to getting into it and The Burn by James Kelman (Great short story writer from Glasgow and someone whose writing I would recommend to almost everyone)...
Last edited by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh on Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.
the_leander
visitor

Post by the_leander »

Pandora's Star was the last book I read, written by a chap called Peter F. Hamilton. Fantastic science fiction book, truly gripping story lines and believable charactors.

If you're into sci fi, get this book, it'll blow your mind. I actually managed to pick it up at my local "The Works" store a while back for something like £2.

Another book, again sci fi, is Accelerando, by Charles Stross. This one is a bit difficult to get into, as it is very technology orientated in terms of the language used, on the other hand, its available as either in dead tree format, or as a free pdf file. It was through this book that I learned of the Creative Commons licence that my own work, Legacy became licenced under. It proved once and for all that you could give stuff away free, and make a few quid.

If you're looking for classics however, I would suggest that you visit The Gutenburg Project, which is home to thousands of classic books that are no longer under copyright. Be warned, its a bit of a pig to navigate.
Diesel Engine
visitor

Post by Diesel Engine »

Ive read a few of Peter F Hamiltons works and they are truly Mammoth undertakings
His newest, Judas Unchained, the follow up to Pandoras Star Is available now and Morning LIght Mountain his vast Alien Intelligence is one of the most frightening in the whole Si-Fi genre.

I found his first trilogy, the Night Dawn trilogy, initally gripping, but there were so many characters and sooo soo many sub plots that I lost intrest and never finished it.
Might give it a go again or I might just make myself a nice cheese sandwich.
sprinkles
visitor

unicycle

Post by sprinkles »

im reading the lonely planet to portugal because they like eating drinking and dancing to celebrate dead people http://www.portoturismo.pt/en/init/default1.asp
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

On The Roundabout by Bernard McLaverty

Hi all. Brian just sent me a link to a new story by Bernard McLaverty. It's called On The Roundabout.

Bernard McLaverty has written many great stories on life here in Northern Ireland and I am a big fan of his work. If you click that coloured text above, you will be taken to a sample of his latest work on the Sunday Herald website...

Be advised, this piece contains literary scenes of violence and sectarian / tribal sickness / weakness.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

The Sand In The Painting. By Catherine Edmunds

The Sand In The Painting, by Catherine Edmunds
  • This is a delightful tale about the lives and loves of a group of friends that took this reader down a nostalgic path and re-awakened my own self-discovery. Frequently while reading The Sand In The Painting. By Catherine EdmundsI reflected upon past relationships and the hopes, joys, pains and wonders of simply being alive. I found myself relating to all of the characters in one way or another and the entire story an absolute pleasure to read.

Songs, old and new popped into my mind while reading; The Sand In The Painting. By Catherine Edmunds and in all honesty I can see the full potential of this book being adapted to screenplay.

Catherine Edmunds has a natural talent for designing believable characters, strong settings and a powerful mastery of the complexities and inner workings of the 'human condition'.

I guarantee, you will find yourselves while reading; The Sand In The Painting. By Catherine Edmunds.
Last edited by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh on Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

the_leander
visitor

Post by the_leander »

Just finished Somewhere A Bird Is Singing, by E V. Thompson. I bought it when it was first published and have read it numerous times.

Set at the turn of the last century it tells the story of a young girl growing up in Victorian Plymouth.

It'll make you smile, cry and laugh at times. But a thoroughly gripping tale that gives you a real taste of what life was like back then.

Good book, I'd recommend it to anyone.

I really should get another copy of it since this one is signed by the author himself...
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Evil Empire by Paul Williams

EVIL EMPIRE by Paul Williams - 2001
  • Actually, this was my second reading of the book. It is a truly numbing account of the criminal underworld in Ireland that has on both readings held me captivated. Evil Empire by Paul Williams is a case study on John Gilligan the former leader of the most ruthless criminal gang to ever emerge out of Ireland. They were responsible for the murder of crime journalist; Veronica Guerin.

What I found particularly intense and highly disturbing was his description of the manouvres of certain Irish Garda detectives investigating a car thief in Dublin. The car ringer (thief) had passed on vital evidence that the Real IRA were transporting a bomb up to Northern Ireland but they did nothing to stop this. Rumours abound about the events of that day but one thing is clear. The intelligence services both North and South of the Irish Border knew an attack was enroute but they let it through. Twenty-nine people were killed and to date there has never been a reasonable explanation for the intelligence service's actions.

Another interesting fact to emerge from this book is that the Irish Garda detective who had this information from the Dublin car thief was later charged along with some of his colleagues for placing weapons on an Irish Republican's land in Co. Donegal.

To read about the book on amazon.com click the title at the top of this post.
Hyperlink in this message is to;
www.amazon.com
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Evil-Empire-Pau ... F8&s=books
Last edited by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh on Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

As Used On The Famous Nelson Mandela by Mark Thomas

• I have long been an admirer of this man's work so you won't be suprised when I say that his book is without doubt an absolute 'must-read' for anyone who considers themselves an activist. If you have a conscience or if you've ever struggled to confront corruption and make this world a better place you will find this book invaluable. If you've ever listened to the radio or turned on your pc / television to see countries ripped apart by warfare and people displaced and starving while living in refugee camps, then this book is one you simply have to read.

Mark gets right into the heart of the Arms and Torture Trade from the UK and reveals the lies we all half suspect the British Government to be telling us. He reveals the open sale of weapons from the UK to places like Darfur and people like Robert Mugabi; President of Zimbabwe and all-out mass murderer. He spends time in the company of a self-made millionaire who famously sold a gun used by Michael Ryan in the Hungerford Massacre of 1987.

As Used On The Famous Nelson Mandela by Mark Thomas is loaded with Mark's amiable humour and high-brow satire that has entertained and informed us all for a good many years now. I am of the opinion that one of the best ways to learn about the world around us is to enjoy that learning process. What Mark has written is a book that delivers all of this essential data and information. Oh, and on his journey writing the book, he managed to have several laws on the sale of weapons from Ireland changed. Genius. Pure genius...

Buy it folks. You won't be disappointed.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Congratulations to Catherine Edmunds aka delph_ambi.

Congratulations to Catherine Edmunds aka delph_ambi
  • on the publication of her latest book of poetry; Wormwood, Earth and Honey, published by Circaidy Gregory Press ISBN 9781906451042.

This is a superb collection of poetry by Catherine, some of which I am already familiar with, and others that have entertained or made me think on people or the nature of all things. I'm a huge fan of her writing and have benefitted greatly from her editing skills on my own poetry and short stories over the last few years here on Sensitize ©. In the covering pages of Wormwood, Earth and Honey there is even a quote from the review I composed for her last book, the novel; The Sand In The Painting. That really made me smile :D ...

I have found myself going back to several of the poems in Wormwood, Earth and Honey already. I have also read the other reviews on Catherine's website and agree that her writing is delightful and multi-layered. I would say what stands out for me is the comedy (in some). The depth, quality and/or quirkiness of each piece also holds me captivated. So, like a good CD, film or story that can be heard, watched or read over and over again, pleasure is added to with each reading of Wormwood, Earth and Honey by Catherine Edmunds.

Wormwood, Earth and Honey by Catherine Edmunds can be bought directly from Circaidy Gregory Press ISBN 9781906451042
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Re: James Kelman wins Scottish Book of the Year...

About ten years back I was introduced to the short stories of Glasgow writer James Kelman. Brian Gillespie, a respected member of Sensitize © was reading a lot of his work and Brian and myself were drinking buddies and rambling philosophers on many topics. Anyway, one night over a few beers Brian shared (read) Constellation by Kelman to me. I was transfixed by the piece. I read it myself twice that night and then maybe once a day for the next five. I caught a fever of a desire to dip my toe in and write short stories of my own. My earliest sadly gone because of the destruction of an MSN group I ran called Sensitize ©. Ah well, ho hum. It's in the past now and I've written newer short stories that I'm much happier with since. Kelman was my muse and catalyst into the form though, as of course was Brian who shared a lot of his own early work with me while sharing his admiration for Mr. Kelman and Ireland's own, Bernard McLafferty.

So, I was delighted when Brian forwarded this to me yesterday:
guardian.co.uk wrote:"Former Booker prize winner James Kelman has won the Saltire Society's Scottish book of the year award for his novel Kieron Smith, Boy, which is told from the perspective of an 11-year-old Glaswegian child.

Kelman was the judges' unanimous choice from a strong shortlist that included Mick Imlah's Forward prize-winning poetry collection The Lost Leader; Ali Smith's retelling of the myth of Iphis and Ianthe, Girl Meets Boy; and Andrew O'Hagan's essay collection, The Atlantic Ocean. The Saltire award is given to a work either by a writer with a Scottish connection, or with a Scottish subject.

Chair of judges Ian Campbell said Kelman had "caught and ventriloquised" the essence of a boy from Glasgow.

"It's an exceptionally sensitive reflection – his ear is tuned to perfection," he said. "We liked it for its reflection of Glasgow life, and for the way it summed up so many of Kelman's gifts."
Read full article at the source = http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2008/de ... f-the-year

Nice one Brian and well played James Kelman for your book; Kieron Smith, Boy.

Anyone reading this. Check out Constellation and Roof Sliding as intros into James Kelman's writing. They're fabulous...

link in this post is to:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2008/de ... f-the-year
hyperlinks in this post are to:
viewforum.php?f=63
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kieron-Smith-Bo ... 987&sr=1-1
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

No Time For Love by Hugo Meenan (1987) ...

I read most of No Time For Love by Hugo Meenan back in the searing heatwave of 1995. I was registered as homeless at the time having been the victim of crime in which my home was smashed to pieces by wannabe paramilitaries. So I was residing in a hostel on the Waterside of Derry.

I was sitting in the Dungloe Bar - Waterloo Street feeling really low and Hugo walked in with another dear friend of mine, Liam Hillen. When Hugo learned that I was homeless and had been facing a lot of sectarian hatred from a few (Loyalist) fools out at the hostel where I was staying he told me that I had to go with him to where he lived to chill out for a while and recharge my energy levels. We did. At that time Hugo lived with his partner, a wonderful lady called Valerie in a large farmhouse in Donegal at Newtoncunningham on the way to Letterkenny. When he told Valerie about my situation she made me a meal and said I could go have a bath and if I wanted my clothes washed, to leave them out for her. Later that evening as we all sat in their livingroom Hugo handed me a copy of his book and explained a little bit on how it came about. Then he recommended I have a read of it. Both Valerie and Hugo went out of their way to make me feel relaxed and soon I became completely engrossed in No Time For Love.

The story while fictional is centred on the experiences of a young male character who gets caught up in the conflict raging in the North of Ireland against the British Crown and its forces of occupation. Places and settings were all very familiar to me having grown up in Derry during the worst of the war and I identified in no small way with the central character and his story. Hugo's writing style is highly captivating and at times I felt like I was listening to the book rather than reading it. Sublime and superb are two words I would use when describing his narrative form.

I read chapter after chapter not wanting to put it down. Eventually though tiredness got the better of me and I fell asleep. The next morning however, I was back at the book while Hugo (a practitioner of Tai Chi and yoga) meditated in the morning sun out on his doorstep. Unfortunately I didn't get the chance to finish reading it because Hugo was called upon by one of his neighbours to assist him in chasing a big bull from one field to the next and away from the cows. So, we both ended up doing that, then walking a few miles to the nearest filling station where we waited for a bus back up to Derry.

I am absolutely gagging to read No Time For Love by Hugo Meenan again. The man and his lovely partner literally saved my life. They gave me a little hope at a time when I was at breaking point and I will never forget their kindness and their genuine respect for my poetry which I shared with them because it was all I had to contribute that night. Valerie and Hugo: If you are ever reading this review, please know that I have the deepest admiration, gratitude, love and respect for the two of you.

Sincerely.

Lugh x

No Time For Love by Hugo Meenan: http://www.amazon.co.uk/No-Time-Love-Hu ... r-mr-title Currently out of stock ...
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Return to “General Messages on Sensitize ©”