the barque

This link will take you to poetry by featured guests and members of Sensitize ©.

Moderator: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Catherine Edmunds
artist, poet & writer

the barque

Post by Catherine Edmunds »

the barque

she sailed into the cove
turquoise water
salt taste of sea spray
scent of childhood

sun beat down in waves
warming pink thrift on the cliff top
the cry of the gulls
ah, the cry of the gulls

I saw her
pointed
squinted against the sun
then she was gone
and they laughed at me
nobody else saw her
nobody else remembered how to see
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
site owner, media producer & writer

Re: the barque

Post by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh »

delph_ambi wrote:the barque

she sailed into the cove
turquoise water
salt taste of sea spray
scent of childhood

sun beat down in waves
warming pink thrift on the cliff top
the cry of the gulls
ah, the cry of the gulls

I saw her
pointed
squinted against the sun
then she was gone
and they laughed at me
nobody else saw her
nobody else remembered how to see
Oh, this is simply beautiful Delph. It took me back to my youth on my uncle Robert's motor-launch by Bowling Harbour, the Clyde and Arochar at the end of Loch Long. While reading it I was also transported to hot summer days, bright white and coloured clothes, health, seafood, wine and laughter. Superb piece mate. Thank you for sharing.

Thought this interesting too. It doesn't tie in fully with your poem but it might prove handy elsewhere. Irish Gaelic for 'boat' is 'bád' and 'yacht' is 'luamh'. Cool :) ...
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS
Telephone (UK): 028 71219225

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.
Catherine Edmunds
artist, poet & writer

Post by Catherine Edmunds »

Thanks Lugh. I was thinking Cornwall when I wrote this -- influenced by childhood memories, and too much Daphne du Maurier, no doubt. On another site someone said Nessie! and another one again, The Lady of Shalott.

By the way, how do you pronounce 'luamh'? Useful to know, if ever it seems appropriate for a poem.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

delph_ambi wrote:Thanks Lugh. I was thinking Cornwall when I wrote this -- influenced by childhood memories, and too much Daphne du Maurier, no doubt. On another site someone said Nessie! and another one again, The Lady of Shalott.
Ahhh Cornwall. I had a wonderful holiday there back in 88 in Perrinporth about 8 miles south of Newquay. Gorgeous place. We toured all around and St. Ive's blew my mind. Truro was an amazing experience too :) ...

Loch Ness. Did most of the lochs around the Strathclyde region outside Glasgow but admit, I never got anywhere near to Loch Ness. I'd love to sometime though. It looks hauntingly beautiful in documentaries and films. Then of course, there's the monster (Nessie) ;) ...
delph_ambi wrote:By the way, how do you pronounce 'luamh'? Useful to know, if ever it seems appropriate for a poem.
Lol, I think it's pronounced 'lome' although I admit I'm not a Gaelic speaker Delph. It could equally be pronounced 'loave' because the 'mh' at the end is a 'v' sound to the best of my knowledge.

I'll find out from my mate John and get back to you on it soon...
Last edited by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh on Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

delph_ambi wrote:
By the way, how do you pronounce 'luamh'? Useful to know, if ever it seems appropriate for a poem.
Hi Delph :)

I have Séan Óg (John Hughes) here with me now and asked him how to pronounce 'luamh'.

He says;

"lua (Mid Ireland - Counties. Leitrim, Offaly).

luav (South & South West Ireland - Cork, Kerry, Wexford)."

Please note the 'a' in these phonetics are silent or subtle. I'm trying to think of an English example to assist pronunciation here but can't. Best thing to say is that the word 'luamh' like so many other Gaelic words, holds a breathy, lilt or musicality within it...
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Return to “New Media Poetry on Sensitize ©”