The Day The Boiler Broke

This link will take you to poetry by featured guests and members of Sensitize ©.

Moderator: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Mike Daniels
poet & writer
Location: The English Queen's Arse, Tongue First 'n' Lovin' It ...

The Day The Boiler Broke

Post by Mike Daniels »

The Day The Boiler Broke

I set in blue ice -
some carved obelisk of uniform distinction
fingers poised over a nonexistent keyboard -
wrapped into the cold.

I watch my white breath -
unfurling of silver fabric that dips and coils
into tongues of frost, seals the bonds of frozen flesh -
in curling dragons.

The bright light has dimmed -
my brain a simple function of innocent grief
that batters against the hidden doorway of life -
hypothermia.
Catherine Edmunds
artist, poet & writer

Post by Catherine Edmunds »

One of those poems where you don't know whether to laugh or cry... but definitely an object lesson in how to turn the mundane into the extraordinary.

Line one, I can't help feeling 'set' should be 'sit'. Both work. 'sit' is more obvious, 'set' more subtle, and has a completely different meaning, of course. 'set' would work further into the poem, but at the very start, I think you need the more obvious word to get the reader engaged. Having said that, I think I'm about to talk myself out of it and say I actually prefer 'set'. Hmm... 'sit' gives you more rhymes. I dunno. Can't decide.

Middle two lines of last stanza are deliciously OTT. Or are they? Thing is, it's January, the boiler's on the blink... that fact takes over one's whole existence. All of which brings me back to my original thought of not knowing whether to laugh or cry. Superficially it's a funny poem, but... maybe not. Maybe it is these 'little' problems that act as a trigger to bring to the surface all the angst in the poetic soul.

Having laughed at first, I'm now inclined to take this one very seriously.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
site owner, media producer & writer

Post by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh »

I really like this poem Mike...

I've deliberately taken time to respond to it because I didn't want to post some hap-hazzard rant that missed the point or failed to let you know how much I admire your writing. As with many of your works I'm caught and somewhat dazzled by the ambience and setting. Your ability to stir the reader's mind and beckon it fully into the scene is flawless perfection. You have all the qualities most screenwriters would die for and I don't say this lightly.

I've been considering for quite a while, creating a board on here for poetry on certain themes. I think it's safe to say there would be a fine selection from our active members if we tackled themes like morning, day and night for instance. I'll put something together through the week.

One final point and it's said with tongue firmly in cheek: You do like your bath mate :wink: .

Thanks for sharing this poem Mike...
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS
Telephone (UK): 028 71219225

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.

Return to “New Media Poetry on Sensitize ©”