Some help required on a political piece.

This link will take you to new media / multimedia journalism by members of Sensitize ©

Freedom of Speech reigns supreme here.

Moderator: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

spacecadet
visitor

Some help required on a political piece.

Post by spacecadet »

Some help needed on a reworking of a political piece..........

I need a few ideas to finish off a piece I wrote during the US elections.

I'm working in why the old style Labour party were like cakes and why the old style Tory party were like biscuits. Any flashes of inspiration?

This is a humourist piece rather than out and out comedy.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
site owner, media producer & writer

Post by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh »

Cakes soak up everything.

Biscuits crumble and can be used, even when they're past their sell by date.

Soz, head's not screwed on properly right now Dave.

Have you seen your Season's Greetings gift link yet? It's on the Announcements section...
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS
Telephone (UK): 028 71219225

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.
Mike Daniels
poet & writer
Location: The English Queen's Arse, Tongue First 'n' Lovin' It ...

Post by Mike Daniels »

you mean like -

why new labour is like a jaffa cake - nobody is certain whether it's a cake or a biscuit. Either way, the policies are all old conservative...
spacecadet
visitor

Post by spacecadet »

The Jaffa cake is the punchline. I'll tell thee what, I'll post what I wrote here (when I find it) and you can comment.......
spacecadet
visitor

Post by spacecadet »

I want to update this to make it current and emphasise the Labour=cake, Tory=biscuit analogy.

I have been observing the US Presidential elections with the usual cynicism this week, pondering, as always, why it is that a country of otherwise sensible people put up with the puppet show that is party politics these days. I suppose the American electorate, like me, are unable to separate these two distinct entities as they have almost blended together into one great mass of dull greyness as they fight for supremacy.

I suppose the same march towards generic uniformity is happening beyond the sphere of American politics. We too have our "Men in Grey". The Tory leadership recycles itself regularly, as one forgettable suited tub of rhetoric is replaced by the next, while those that attain power seem to do so because their grinning inanity makes them indistinguishable from the media’s comedy characatures, thereby letting them attain a place in peoples memories almost via the back door.

This degradation of personality within politics became clear to me today while I was talking to my 2 year old son. He asked for a biscuit and my Wife gave him a Jaffa Cake. As far as I’m concerned a Jaffa Cake is a cake, the clue is in the name. According to my Wife a Jaffa Cake is a biscuit, and this is what she is teaching our child. I’m afraid I must make a stand here.

A biscuit is a hard baked thing which is capable of being dipped into tea without breaking. It should be fairly tough, absorbent, not contain much taste and have just a little sugar to help keep your fires burning until the next meal. They are a simple thing with a simple purpose.

Cakes, on the other hand, are designed to round off a meal. They are not to be dunked in tea. They should contain maximum taste and enough sugar to be bad for you. They are designed to lift your spirits and create a feeling of decadence without overly endangering the consumer. That is their job.

Now a Jaffa Cake is neither of these things. It totally fails to justify it’s existence as either a cake or a biscuit, although it shares all the major design qualifications of each. It is a bland middle ground achieved by some marketing think-tank somewhere in a vast souless city somewhere. It has been sanitised to the point of uselessness in the hope that a "one size fits all" design motif can be brought to bear on snack foodstuffs.

I put it to the world that the same thing has happened to politicians. They used to be cakes or biscuits. Now they’re just a bunch of Jaffa Cakes.

And who want’s to be governed by a Jaffa Cake?
psikottix
visitor

Post by psikottix »

A cake starts off soft, and becomes hard as it goes off.

A biscuit starts off hard, and becomes soft as it goes off.

And anyone who says a Jaffa Cake is a biscuit should be taken out and shot. I'll add your wife's name to the list for after the revolution. I won't be shooting her myself, as I am already on the list.
spacecadet
visitor

Post by spacecadet »

psikottix wrote:A cake starts off soft, and becomes hard as it goes off.

A biscuit starts off hard, and becomes soft as it goes off.

And anyone who says a Jaffa Cake is a biscuit should be taken out and shot. I'll add your wife's name to the list for after the revolution. I won't be shooting her myself, as I am already on the list.
I shall happily be your Robespeare
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
site owner, media producer & writer

Post by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh »

Hang on a minute. Does this mean cheesy crackers are Lib Dem :shock: ..?
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS
Telephone (UK): 028 71219225

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.

Return to “New Media Journalism on Sensitize ©”