BBC set to ditch the iPod, Linux and Mac OS

This link will take you to general messages or topics of interest to members of Sensitize ©.

Moderator: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
site owner, media producer & writer

Re: BBC set to ditch the iPod, Linux and Mac OS

Post by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh »

Did the BBC ever have a clause written that approved their use? Wouldn't they be in breach of some sort of contract, especially with reference to the Apple iPod?
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS
Telephone (UK): 028 71219225

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.
the_leander
visitor

Post by the_leander »

Pass.

They were originally going to go with an open source system that would have supported everything.

It was cheeper, scaled better and was based on proven technology. Oh, and would have run on just about any device you can concieve of.

The system they have picked is more expensive, won't run on anything except Windows Media Player 11 (not even Microsofts new Zune portable "ipod killer" is supported) and of course, iPods, Macs and Linux, even older versions of Windows are completely out.

Someone somewhere has taken some backhanders for this to go through.
spacecadet
visitor

Post by spacecadet »

I think they're going for breadth rather than depth. Spending resources on increasing the amount of items available online rather than messing about with the nuts and bolts so people can download things to anything including their toaster doesn't make sense.

I think it's simply a case of pushing for a market share as quickly as possible - nothing more sinister than that.
the_leander
visitor

Post by the_leander »

spacecadet wrote:I think they're going for breadth rather than depth. Spending resources on increasing the amount of items available online rather than messing about with the nuts and bolts so people can download things to anything including their toaster doesn't make sense.
Thing is, that the open source system they were going to use would have allowed for breadth and depth, would have been cheeper too.
spacecadet wrote: I think it's simply a case of pushing for a market share as quickly as possible - nothing more sinister than that.
This thing only works for media player 11, which means XP and Vista. Their marketshare between them atm is around 60% of the total.

Using real, or an opensource system, they could have had 100% and it would have cost them far far less.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Alan,

I owe you a massive apology mate. That hyperlink you posted on the first message to this thread initially only opened a blank page for me. I have now discovered that the broadband service for Northern Ireland crashed, as well as one in Manchester and a few other English regional servers on Monday evening through to early this morning. Something to do with them being hit by a worm virus according to their helpline.

In a private message to you I may have come across as sharp and that's what I'm apologising for mate...

Thanks.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.
the_leander
visitor

Post by the_leander »

Lugh wrote:Alan,

I owe you a massive apology mate. That hyperlink you posted on the first message to this thread initially only opened a blank page for me. I have now discovered that the broadband service for Northern Ireland crashed, as well as one in Manchester and a few other English regional servers on Monday evening through to early this morning. Something to do with them being hit by a worm virus according to their helpline.

In a private message to you I may have come across as sharp and that's what I'm apologising for mate...

Thanks.
No, tis cool. I know about the largescale crash, though didn't know about it at the time. I notice that the fallout is that eclipse (my own ISP) is on something of a go slow as a result of it all.

Service will be back to full strength shortly they say :D
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Don't believe their hype :wink:
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Return to “General Messages on Sensitize ©”