Legacy's ever increasing delays

This link will take you to general messages or topics of interest to members of Sensitize ©.

Moderator: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Catherine Edmunds
artist, poet & writer

Post by Catherine Edmunds »

Haha! Yes. Glad you mentioned the typos. You're going to have hours of fun doing a major edit at some point as most sentences have managed one grammatical glitch or another, but it DOESN'T MATTER thank god, because the story is so good it carries you along. I've only read the first three chapters so far, but they're very good. The pacing is excellent, characterisation great, the 'world' entirely believable on its own terms.

I'll certainly carry on reading this. I love fantasy fiction anyway, though I don't write much 'high fantasy' of this type. It's a great genre though, and when it's well done (like this) it's pure joy.
the_leander
visitor

Post by the_leander »

delph_ambi wrote:Haha! Yes. Glad you mentioned the typos. You're going to have hours of fun doing a major edit at some point as most sentences have managed one grammatical glitch or another,
This is the problem when you're self taught, even if I sort out the typos and deal with the most obvious snafu's such as forgotten full stops and not closing quotation marks, the finer points of the art are unknown to me, most of what I do know was learned from reading copious amounts of books myself and getting a feel for it...

I suspect that once the story is down, I may well have to get someone else to go through it with me to deal with these points...
delph_ambi wrote: but it DOESN'T MATTER thank god, because the story is so good it carries you along. I've only read the first three chapters so far, but they're very good. The pacing is excellent, characterisation great, the 'world' entirely believable on its own terms.

I'll certainly carry on reading this. I love fantasy fiction anyway, though I don't write much 'high fantasy' of this type. It's a great genre though, and when it's well done (like this) it's pure joy.
Wow!

If you'd said that to me in person, right about now I'd probably be blushing profusely, fortunately however I have several klicks of copper and fibre between us, so I am spared that :wink:

I am glad you like it though :D :D
joanne chapman
activist and campaigner

Post by joanne chapman »

I've never known anyone to be so modest!!

You may need to correct a few typo's but the art is already there, you don't need any formal teaching for it, you have it already.
the_leander
visitor

Post by the_leander »

jo wrote:I've never known anyone to be so modest!!

You may need to correct a few typo's but the art is already there, you don't need any formal teaching for it, you have it already.
Not so much modesty as it is a case of not knowing how to deal with people liking what you do... It honestly shocks the hell out of me when I do something like Legacy or my work on things such as the computer misuse laws that people like it!

A good example of what I mean is this:

I remember when the old Mark Thomas forums were still going, that J.Deacon praised me for going through the findings about that case in the US where the judge stomped on the group trying to keep "Intelligent Design" on the Kansas high school curriculum, I considered it incredible. It was.. a 120 or so pages, but I found it fascinating and indeed, amusing to read what this guy had written (This judge really, seriously ripped the ID'ers case to shreds), that I should be praised for simply doing something that I enjoyed, especially from him! (Whilst I had numerous arguments with J.Deacon, I always held him up in the highest regard when it came to politics, he was brilliant to debate things with, definately someone I'd buy a pint for).

Some people seem to thrive on fame, it seems almost to make them grow, for me however, it is litterally always a surprise that people would like what I do, a nice surprise, but still a surprise... I just don't know any other way of being.

I'd like to learn English formally I think, my grasp of the language is never going to be superb I suspect, especially when it comes to spelling (Helps to have software with a spellchecker worth a damn), but to my mind it is something I feel deeply that I should do, if for no other reason then to be able to hold my head up and be able to say that I really know my own language. It'll probably also mean less bills from the proof readers and editors for migaine tablets in the long run too :lol: :lol: :lol:
the_leander
visitor

Post by the_leander »

I can't remember when I put my last words down for the legacy.

Part of me is not really surprised (am looking for work full time now) but another part is screaming at me to get something... anything down.

This is frustrating to say the least!
joanne chapman
activist and campaigner

Post by joanne chapman »

the_leander wrote:I can't remember when I put my last words down for the legacy.

Part of me is not really surprised (am looking for work full time now) but another part is screaming at me to get something... anything down.

This is frustrating to say the least!
It's a shame, I could do with a bit of escaping into another chapter and away from the crap people in real-life (being a selfish bitch). You have to be in the right frame of mind to do a good job.

Good Luck with the job hunting - it's not too late to become a student nurse you know (wreckless nurses parties are...different, to say the least) :oops: :lol:
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
site owner, media producer & writer

Post by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh »

Hi Alan :)

I have found that at times like the one you're describing, it's sometimes cool to just put everything to one side (including writing). Un-clutter my head and prioritise (is that spelled right?)... Everything in a writer's life is connected mate. We work, no matter how obscurely, with the world around us. It is our source of inspiration.

Getting steady employment is important as it gives stability, however it may not be what is most important for you, now. That's why I suggest (only) that you take a few days out to chill, or mix e.g; write shorter pieces of work inspired by other aspects of your life. You have the ability to write journalism which is something I am crap at man. Not only that, but you're feckin' excellent at it too :D

As for editing. That will come as part of due process in creativity and it's one of the reasons we're all here for each other.

Keep On Keepin' On Dude :wink:
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS
Telephone (UK): 028 71219225

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.
the_leander
visitor

Post by the_leander »

22 went up last night.

Also put in a bit of work to 23 whilst I was at it.

Enjoy..

Delph, what I think I want to do is get the story down the go back through it bit by bit, rather then start the editing process half way through...
Catherine Edmunds
artist, poet & writer

Post by Catherine Edmunds »

Makes sense, Alan. It's what I'd do.
the_leander
visitor

Post by the_leander »

delph_ambi wrote:Makes sense, Alan. It's what I'd do.
:D <phew>

Was a bit afraid of upsetting you with that one actually, so I'm glad to know there is at least some understanding to the madness that is my method :lol:

Return to “General Messages on Sensitize ©”